Monday 18 August 2014

A letter to my president - Part 1

Dear Mr President,

My name is Zoila and i am a woman from mining community in Tanzania. I have tried so many times to reach you but in vain. Your security guards and ministers and secretaries have been so hard on me, they say you are busy and you do not have time to meet me. This is my hundredth letter to you and i hope you will read it and respond.

My  President, i want you to know that i voted for you  both in the first term and second term. You promised that you would give more opportunity to women... i have been waiting and waiting and waiting, i am now becoming impatient. I heard that you appointed women in various political positions, but how does this reflect on my empowerment as  a common  woman from the interior of interior, in mining community where social services, such as water hospital, school, sanitation, road,  electricity etc etc is limited.

Mr President, I want you to know that where i live, there is no respect for women. Women are being abused, raped, and mistreated by virtue of being women and most importantly be being  Women in Mining. We are being abused by both people and system, it was  last week when my niece was raped by six men and when reported to the village authority, they said that she is a women miner and she consented. She could not go to the police station as the facility is located 60 kilometers from my village. Also, the dispensary here could not treat her because they do not have doctors and drugs. Please tell your people that we want them to build us a police station with functioning gender desk. We have paid our fair share of taxes and levies and revenues and contributions. We want result. I mean we are calling for  Big result Now! Tell them that their budgets should never overlook our need for getting pregnant and having children just because they cannot build us a decent hospital with trained health personnel. Also, tell them that we want a police post on every mining community. The extent of crimes against women is very high here.

Mr President, i have been waking up at 2 am everyday to scramble for water, This is not fair. My community is a source of precious gold and other agricultural products. I do not understand why we have only one source of water for a community of more than 10,000 people. I want you to tell your people that we want water, we women are the ones who bear the brunt of poor planning and implementation of poor polices made by your government. Tell your people to that we want water, clean water for us and our families.


This is my son who went to fetch water since 2 AM  this morning and he is coming back at 5 PM


No comments:

Post a Comment